A vacation doesn’t mean you have to stop exercising or eating well. Whether you’re traveling by plane, train or automobile, you can always squeeze in some sort of moving/exercising. No matter what the obstacles may be, you should try your best to make time for wellness. However, during this time it is best to just think about maintenance; not increasing your fitness level or weight loss! Furthermore, if it’s a family vacation you’re embarking on choose activities the entire family will enjoy.
Here is a little list of helpful tips to help you eat well and exercise while traveling:
- If you’re on a plane, get up and walk when possible
- Stretch your arms, legs, neck and shoulders
- If you’re in a car, stop every 2-3 hours and get out and walk
- See the sights on foot, bike or boogie board
- Don’t skip breakfast (don’t think of saving room for a huge lunch or dinner – this is not a good idea)
- Choose oatmeal, whole grain cereals or whole wheat bread/toast
- Choose fruit – did you know grapefruit wakes you up better than coffee?!
- Egg whites or egg substitutes and yogurt are good choices, too!
- Drink plenty of water and watch your alcohol consumption (alcohol is empty calories and causes dehydration)
And above all, remember to have fun and feel GREAT.