Today is National START! Walking Day! Started by the American Heart Association, START! Walking Day was created to help inspire adults to become more active and heart healthy, especially in the workplace.
Why walking? Well, walking has the lowest dropout rate of any physical activity. It’s the simplest positive change you can make to effectively improve your heart health.
Research has shown that the benefits of walking and moderate physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day can help you:
- Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
- Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Improve blood lipid profile
- Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
- Enhance mental well being
- Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
- Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
- Reduce the risk of non insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
Plus: Walking is great medicine for your heart! Did you know that for every hour of regular, vigorous exercise we do — like brisk walking — we can live two hours longer?
Celebrate National START! Walking Day by treating yourself to a 30 minute walk today!