1. Sunscreen 101 – How much is enough? Choose a formula with no less than SPF 30. Slather one tablespoon over your face and about a shot glass worth of lotion or foam over your body. Reapply every two hours and after swimming.
2. Protect Your Pucker – Rising temps mean dried out skin and lips. Hydrate your pout with a moisturizing lip gloss or lipstick and always remember to top off your look with a layer of balm containing SPF 15 or higher.
3. Ouch! You’re Sunburnt. Now What? – The best thing to do is pop an aspirin (to help with inflammation), smooth on aloe vera, and wear loose-fitting cotton clothes and undies. Synthetic fabrics will irritate your burn.
4. Drink Smarter Water – Sipping on eight glasses of water a day has a multitude of benefits that include glowing, healthy skin. Kick the benefits up a notch by adding a drop or two of an antioxidant-enriched tonic to fight free radicals and early wrinkles in one go.
5. Scrub Your Way Smooth – For your silkiest skin ever, try this DIY exfoliator from celebrity makeup artist Joanna Schlip. Mix one cup of sugar with half a cup of olive oil and scrub in circular motions from neck to toe. Allow the mixture to soak in for at least five minutes before rinsing off.
6. Easy Eye Brightener – Summer barbecues and happy hours mean lots of cocktails and late nights. Banish any dark circles with a soothing, brightening eye cream. Opt for a pocket-sized concealer with an easy-to-apply brush to erase dark circles on the go.
7. Cut Back on Cocktails – Speaking of drinking, imbibing even one less serving of alcohol a day will make a noticeable difference when you’re looking at the scale or staring in the mirror. Alcohol dehydrates skin (this causes wrinkles) while inflaming tissue (hello, puffiness). Prevent this by watering down wine and liquor with club soda and alternating alcoholic beverages with glasses of water.
8. Remember That Sunblock Expires – The leftovers you have from last summer aren’t going to cut it! Load up on a fresh supply of sunscreens, lotions, and sprays before each bikini season to ensure that you have the most efficient protection.
9. Avoid a Makeup Meltdown – When the mercury rises (and humidity levels soar), loading up on moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup can lead to a slippery mess on your gorgeous mug. Use a multitasking primer with SPF to cut out extra steps and leave your skin with a soft, dewy feel.
10. Get Shady – They’re more than just glam accessories. Those Jackie O frames can cover up to 30% of your face, which provides extra coverage from UV rays around your sensitive peepers. Plus the less squinting you do, the less likely you are to develop crows feet.
11. SPF Makeup Is Not Enough – t’s great to have extra protection from your SPF-laced bronzer and lip balm, but the amount of sunblock you actually need is far more than a subtle dusting. Be sure to wear these products over a generous layer of sunscreen.
12. Find Your Zit Zapper – Fnally, a grown-up version of the acne pads you used in high school. To clear up breakouts, pick up salicylic acid-enriched pads that also contain good-for-your-skin ingredients like argan oil to reduce irritation. In a pinch combine aspirin and water to create a paste, and apply it directly to your blemish.
13. Make a Balancing Mask – To fight last-minute inflammation, Richa Purohit of KeSARI beauty suggests applying a thin layer of cold yogurt over your face for five minutes in the morning. The probiotics will cool skin and help restore a natural pH balance to your mug.
14. De-Clog Your Pores – Humidity, sweat, makeup, and pollution can build up in your pretty little pores, causing them to look like dark blemishes. To clear them out, steam clean your face over hot water, cleanse as usual, and then splash with cool water to tighten your freshly-washed face.
15. Summerize Your Skincare – You lighten up your wardrobe with linens, cottons, and bright colors, so why not update your beauty routine, too? Switch out any oil-based lotions and makeup in favor of noncomedogenic day creams that also contain a healthy dose of SPF.
16. Add Avocado to Your Salad – One of the most beautifying foods, avocados contain healthy fats and vitamins C and E to keep skin plump, vibrant, and hydrated. Slice one up and keep it in your work fridge for an easy meal-booster.
17. Get a Spa Glow in Seconds – Look for spa-approved fast masks to get the benefits of a facial without a trip to the salon. Ingredients like hyaluronic acid, alpha hydroxy acids, and reseveratrol slough off dead skin cells while plumping up fine lines.
18. Cool It – Stash a face toner or mist in your poolside cooler to calm stressed-out skin in a hurry. After a long day in the sun, one spritz will soothe irritation or set your evening makeup without smudging your dolled up face.
19. Hide Your Sunburn – Opt for a tinted moisturizer, suggests celeb makeup artist Tamara Palumbo of boutique makeup brand, Piret & Tamara. It’s more healing and moisturizes better than a cream or powder foundation. If extra coverage is needed, gently tap concealer over blemishes to spot treat unevenness.
20. Glisten Up – Eye-catching highlights aren’t just for your hair or face. Beyonce’s makeup artist adds a pinch of bronze shimmer to body oil and applies it to her arms, legs, and shoulders for all over sexy iridescence.
21. Be Smart About When You Put on SPF – If you try to work around your bikini or mini skirt when slathering up with SPF, you may miss a spot! Apply sunscreen before you dress to maximize your sun protection and allow your skin to soak up sun blocking ingredients before UV exposure.
22. Invest in A Magic Wand – For touch-ups when you travel, try a multipurpose highlighter stick that’s packed with skin-softening vitamins and nutrients. The solid consistency is aces for airport security checks, making it the perfect item to stash in your summer weekender bag.
23. Brush It Off – Use a dry brush once a week for extra exfoliation and to increase circulation for brighter, smoother skin. Always follow with a rich lotion to seal in moisture and prevent flakes.
24. Smooth Out Cellulite – Most cellulite-fighting creams only offer a temporary solution, but who wouldn’t want to look more toned, even if just for a few hours? Slather on a firming lotion with caffeine for a quick fix. Amp up the effects by using a rolling pin to smooth over pesky bumps.
25. Hit the Gym (or Park) – Even in the summer months, exercising is essential for better skin because it increases the flow of oxygenated blood to your face and helps your body release toxins. Just be sure to shower immediately after sweating up a storm to avoid body breakouts!
26. Munch on Watermelon – Munching on water-filled fruits and veggies, like watermelon and cucumbers, keeps you and your skin hydrated, while enriching your diet with vitamins and anti-oxidants that will enhance your complexion.
27. Get Your Glow On – Even Jennifer Lopez has admitted to faking her signature bronze. For an easy, daily faux glow, simply mix one part self tanner with two to three parts moisturizer and apply every other night before bed.
28. Catch Lots of Zzzzz’s – And we don’t just mean at the beach! Not only does sleep deprivation cause stress, which leads to breakouts and a sallow complexion, it deprives your body and skin of the time it needs to regenerate and recover from your daily activities.
29. Avoid Product Overload – Piling on too many skin-perfecting potions and lotions can cause irritation or cause active ingredients to “cancel” each other out (yes, this does happen). When in doubt, bring your arsenal to your dermatologist and ask her to narrow down your routine to the most effective essentials.
30. Soothe and Balance Redness – Heat is one of the biggest triggers for rosacea and flushed cheeks. Use a moisturizer with a subtle green-tint to neutralize redness, and look for skin-soothing ingredients like radish and ginger root to find your best match.
31. Don’t Forget Your Neck and Chest – Adopt a skincare tip from European beauties, like Vanessa Paradis, and remember to slather up your neck and chest with skincare products. The skin here is just as exposed to the sun and elements as your face and is even more delicate. Always extend your serums, creams, and sunscreens down beneath your collarbone to help prevent early signs of aging along your lovely décolleté.
32. Clean Your Makeup Brushes – In the hotter months, bacteria is more likely to grow and build up in your kabuki and blusher brushes, causing breakouts and clogged pores. To prevent this, lather them up with gentle shampoo every three weeks, rinse clean, and dry overnight on a sheet of paper towel.
Written by Loni Albert